Thursday, October 20, 2011

Reflection 7

This week we have been watching our peers teach lessons on the STLs.  I have learned a lot from them by how they do things well and how they mess up and how they could fix their method of teaching.  First off there have been my peers talk just 100% off of a power point.  And yes this is a nice way of teaching because it keeps the teacher on track and helps the kids stay on track, or get them back on track if they were off, but the problem is, I feel like I am a passive learner when their is a power point in front of me. And after the first three minutes I get into the mode of listen as much as you can but if you already know this let your brain take a nap.  Also what I have noticed is with power points the teacher can go at an accelerating pace, and I want to write down the information in front of me and take those notes, but some times I can't because the teacher is going through the slides like crazy fast so I have blanks in my notes, which is frustrating during class because I'm trying to get what the teacher said in the last slide, while listening and taking notes on this slide, then when I go home to review my notes there are gaps of information that I don't have, so then I freak out because I feel like those sets of notes were important and so since I don't have them I'm going to fail.
So how I would fix this problem is if I do have a power point only have the key short things on them, and as few of slides as possible. Or I just wouldn't have a power point and have a large class discussion.
Things that my class mates have been doing well I think are activities.  Activities engage me because I am a hands on learner.  Its really hard for me to just watch something happen, I need to do it a long with the teacher or else I get lost.  So I am proud that my class mates have been doing activities! This just shows me that I want to put together an amazing activity, and not just a boring lecture of power point.

No comments:

Post a Comment